About the Genting Cable Car in Malaysia | Routes, Highlights & More
The Genting Cable Car is an aerial gondola lift system that is the most convenient way to reach the Genting Highlands. There are two cable car routes that travel this route, the Awana SkyWay, and the Genting SkyWay.
Read on to find out more about the Genting Cable Car, its routes, and what makes it so popular.
Genting Cable Car Overview
What is the Genting Cable Car?
Why You Should Take the Genting Cable Car?
- On the Genting Cable Car, you can see the picturesque hilly landscape unfold below you and enjoy the crisp mountain air of the Genting Highlands.
- The Genting Cable Cars travel up to a height of 620 meters, from where you get a wonderful view of the 130 million-year-old rainforest below.
- The Genting Cable Car is the quickest and easiest way to get to the top of the Genting Highlands and to experience all the wonderful entertainment options there.
- With your Genting Cable Car ticket, you can also stop at the Chin Swee Station, where you can explore the beautiful Chin Swee Caves Temple at no additional cost.
History of the Genting Cable Car
- The Genting Cable Car was built as a way to reach the Genting Highlands.
- The Genting Highlands was established by the late Chinese businessman Lim Goh Tong in 1965 as a convenient holiday destination from Kuala Lumpur.
- In 1977 the first cable car system was built connecting Awana Station and Genting Highlands Resort. This was an aerial tramway system with small two-passenger cabins that closed in 2014.
- Another gondola lift, the Genting Skyway, was opened in 1997 to deal with increasing numbers of tourists.
- A new gondola lift system opened in 2016, the Awana Skyway, with 109 gondolas that can seat between 6 to 8 people.
- Today, the Genting Cable Car is the most popular way of getting to the Genting Highlands.
Genting Cable Car Routes
Awana SkyWay Line
Aboard the Awana SkyWay you can go on an exciting journey that begins from from Awana Station in the Pahang region of Malaysia. Travel over a historic 130 million-year-old rainforest and see the see the picturesque hilly landscape unfold below. Alight at the Chin Swee Caves Temple, and explore this Taoist religious site before climbing back on board the cable car and journeying onward towards the SkyAvenue Station in the Genting Highlands.
Stops: Awana Station — Chin Swee Station — SkyAvenue Station
Genting SkyWay Line
The older line of the Genting Cable Car, the Genting SkyWay was opened in 1997, and remains a unique way to experience the Genting Highlands. Your journey starts at the Gohtong Jaya township, which is a few hours away from Kuala Lumpur. The Genting SkyWay station is at the top of a 5-storey building, with stunning views of the surrounding lush rainforest. The ride takes you to the Resort Hotel in the Genting Highlands.
Stops: Gohtong Jaya Station — Resort Hotel Station
Genting Cable Car Operating Hours
Awana SkyWay Hours
It is open daily. The operating hours are:
7 AM – 10 PM
Duration: The cable car ride takes about 10 minutes.
Genting SkyWay Timings
It is open every day. The opening hours are:
7:30 AM – 11:59 PM
Duration: The cable car ride takes about 15 minutes.
Note: The Genting SkyWay is usually closed while Awana SkyWay is in operation, with the two systems will taking turns to serve customers.
What to See From the Genting Cable Car?
Chin Swee Cave Temples
This Taoist religious site is located on the slopes of the Genting Highlands. Chin Swee Temple was built by Lim Goh Tong, the man who developed the Genting Highlands, in honor of the Buddhist figure Chin Swee.
Lim Gohtong Memorial Park
This park was built to commemorate the founder of Genting Highlands, Lim Goh Tong. Visitors can pay their respects at a Memorial Hall, and walk in the park surrounded by orchid blossoms.
Strawberry Leisure Farm
This farm is located in Gohtong Jaya, a town in the Genting Highlands. It is known for its hydroponic strawberry farming, and flower gardens. It also features a shopping alley.
Near Gohtong Jaya is Mini Cameron. Also called 'Garden in the Sky', it houses a produce market, an orchid garden, and a nursery high up in the hills. There are also a number of restaurants and a cafe.
Happy Bee Farm
Located near Gohtong Jaya, this is an apiary and gallery. You can learn all about honey production, taste some delicious samples, and see number of local butterflies and birds.
Skytropolis Indoor Theme Park
Skytropolis Indoor Theme Park covers over 400,000 sq ft and has over 20 exciting attractions. These include a roller coaster, a Ferris wheel, a swinging ship, bumper cars, and a large gaming arcade.
Genting SkyWorlds Theme Park
This theme park is built across 26 acres and features 26 rides and attractions suitable for all ages. There are adventure-inspired “worlds”, like Eagle Mountain, Liberty Lane, Ice Age, and more.
- Try to book your Genting Cable Car tickets in advance, as you can avoid the long queues at the ticket counters.
- Children under 16 years old must be accompanied by an adult who also has a valid ticket.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited throughout the journey.
- Pets are prohibited at all stations and inside the gondola.
- Genting SkyWay has standard gondolas that seat 8 adult passengers per cabin.
- Awana SkyWay has two types of gondolas - standard and glass floor gondolas. Standard gondolas seat 10 passengers, including children, while glass floor gondolas can seat 6 passengers.
- Standard gondolas are wheelchair and stroller accessible, but only baby strollers are allowed in the glass floor gondolas.
All Your Questions About the Genting Cable Car Answered
A. The Genting Cable Car is an aerial gondola lift system that takes visitors up to the Genting Highlands.
A. Yes the Genting Cable Car is open to visitors after COVID-19 closures.
A. The Genting Skyway and the Awana Skyway are two of the major routes of the Genting Cable Car. The Genting SkyWay runs from Gohtong Jaya to Resort Hotel in the Genting Highlands. Awana SkyWay runs from Awana Station to SkyAvenue Station.
A. The gondolas of the Awana SkyWay can carry 6-10 passengers, while those along the Genting SkyWay can carry 8 passengers in each cabin.
A. The Awana SkyWay has 109 gondolas, while the Genting SkyWay has over 50.
A. The Awana SkyWay takes 10 minutes, while the Genting SkyWay takes 15 minute.
A. The Genting Cable Car operates at a speed of 6 meters per second (21.6 km/h)
A. The Awana SkyWay is 2,400 m long, while the Genting SkyWay is 3,380 m long.
A. The Genting Cable Car takes visitors up by 620 meters.